Remote Sensing and Digital Image Processing Bookseries. Remote sensing is the acquisition of Physical data of an object without touch or contact. Earth observation satellites have been used for many decades in a wide field of applications. With the advancements in sensor technology, earth imaging is now possible at an unprecedented level of detail. Imaging spectrometers and thermal multispectral systems acquire detailed spectroscopic information of physical properties of the earth’s surface. Dynamic processes can now be studied with interferometric systems. SAR interferometry, laser altimetry and high-resolution imaging allow a very detailed, three-dimensional reconstruction of the earth surface. With the advent of multi-sensor mission comes a new era of imaging, opening the possibility of integrating date from various sensor systems.
The books published in the series explore these topics in remote sensing and provide a framework for related advanced digital image processing approaches.
Overall, this book is a valuable reference source. It is a good alternative to a general remote sensing textbook in the optical domain, because most of the underlying physical principles are given with sufficient detail to provide a good understanding of the applications and of the limitations of hyperspectral sensing. Overall it is a good quality work, with only a limited number of repetitions from one chapter to another, which is sometimes difficult to achieve in a multi-authored book. (GEOMATICA, 57:4, 2004)
Table of Contents
About the Editors.
Part I: Basic principles of imaging spectrometry.
1. Basic physics of spectrometry.
2. Imaging spectrometry: Basic analytical techniques.
Part II: Prospective applications of imaging spectrometry.
3. Imaging spectrometry for surveying and modelling land degradation.
4. Field and imaging spectrometry for identification and mapping of expansive soils.
5. Imaging spectrometry and vegetation science.
6. Imaging spectrometry for agricultural applications.
7. Imaging spectrometry and geological applications.
8. Imaging spectrometry and petroleum geology.
9. Imaging spectrometry for urban applications.
10. Imaging spectrometry in the Thermal Infrared.
11. Imaging spectrometry of water.